12. Thénardier - sad but still living life
He’s sad because he’s not as rich as he wants to be, but hey, he’s got the jolliest song in the musical.
11. Madame Thénardier - also sad, but dealing with it
More sad than her husband because they have equal problems (now who will get their damn water after Cosette leaves??), and additionally she can’t get her hair under control.
10. Gavroche - sad-ish
The little kid was really happy and bound to be a pretty cool teenager…that is until he died.
9. The barricade boys - sad but drunk
The beer relieves them of their sadness, but…they all still die.
8. Enjolras - stressed but not depressed
He’s really patriotic and totally believes he can revolutionize France. High hopes, and heck, that’s a life worth livin’! Probably sad to die though.
7. Javert - sad and angry
Just kind of an asshole, but not a sad asshole. More like a moody guy who needs to learn to let things go or you’ll end up dead in a river.
6. Cosette - lonely and sad
Sad because her mom is dead, her dad is non-existent and she was basically a child slave. BUT, things turn around for her and she gets to fall in love and is one of the only people who lives, so she’s not the saddest.
5. Jean Valjean - bittersweet sadness
He’s a roller coaster of emotions. Was a prisoner but now is semi-free but can’t enjoy life because of his guilt and shame. At least he got to live ‘till around 65…wasn’t that old for that time?
4. Marius - quite sad
All his friends are dead, so that’s pretttyyyy sad. However, he managed to get a girl he met for one second to marry him, so that makes him not the saddest.
3. These prisoners - depressed
Have to sing in high waters while getting rope burn. Very sad.
2. Eponine - really sad
The guy she loves doesn’t love her back, and she dies and I don’t think her parents even know or care? Is definitely very sad.
1. Fantine - too sad for words
Gets fired from her job, has to become a prostitute, shaves her head, can’t see her daughter, dies. Pretty darn sad.
- Police in Athens used pepper spray on protesters two days ahead of Greece's major bailout vote.
- A medical helicopter crashed in Colorado. The crash killed the pilot and injured two crew members.
- Serena Williams survived an upset at Wimbledon and defeated current Britain's Heather Watson. She'll play her older sister Venus in the next round of the tournament ?