But the Chemical X turned the three Powerpuff Girls into ass-kicking machines, and started breaking down our expectations of women and men alike.
This dude dressed up as Blossom and no one noticed:
Seriously, everyone thought he was Blossom. I guess the people of Townsville just weren’t shocked by body hair on a woman.
And Mojo Jojo fit in perfectly with the Powerpuff Girls’ friends when he snuck into their sleepover.
2. The girls were careful to keep open minds about gender.
And questioned each other about their assumptions.
This was especially great because Bubbles is seen as the most girly of the three. And yet she still does the manual chores because she’s awesome.
3. The villains also paid no mind to gender expectations. Sedusa was a fierce fighter:
As was Sara Bellum.
Because although Sedusa was disguised as a sweet, docile Ima Goodlady, she was hardcore.
Femme Fatale pointed out serious problems with the patriarchal superhero industry:
And Him was incredibly fabulous:
Presumably, Him was a man. He had an ambiguous voice, pranced around in a tutu, and wore makeup. He was amazing.
And of course, the Rowdyruff Boys had a nontraditional upbringing,
4. The girls were always sure to set people straight when they underestimated them.
And they discovered that men were far too obsessed with perceived manliness.
Whenever the Rowdyruff Boys did something that seemed “unmanly,” like hurting themselves, they literally shrunk, which was a pretty cool metaphor.
5. But the Professor let the girls experiment with fashion on him:
Because Professor Utonium was a great, caring, SINGLE DAD.
- [Dominica Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said that Tropical Storm Erika killed 20 people there, and set the island back 20 years from the damage. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemcneal/at-least-5-people-are-missing-after-tropical-storm-erika-thr)
- [Police are investigating the death of Jamycheal Mitchell, 24, who was arrested months ago in Virginia for allegedly stealing about $5 worth of groceries. He was found dead in his jail cell last week. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/black-man-held-for-months-for-stealing-5-worth-of-snacks-fou)
- Owen Labrie was found not guilty of felony sexual assault charges stemming from a 15-year-old former student's accusations that he raped her at St. Paul's School. ›