1. Ohhhh snap. Here’s a 1968 advertisement for a special offer from L&M cigarettes — blow-up pillows for only $1. And here you thought you were being so futuristic in 1997.
2. The concept of inflatable furniture has actually been around for quite some time. Here’s a woman in 1956 showing off a chair of her own invention.
Hulton Archive / Getty Images
3. But it was in the late ’60s that inflatable furniture really became big thanks to a designer named Quasar Khanh. This photo is from 1968.
4. And by 1970, Quasar furniture was apparently on display at the MoMA in NYC and the Louvre in Paris.
5. A groovy girl looks predictably uncomfortable on an inflatable ball chair in 1969.
Harold M. Lambert / Getty Images