2. The Los Angeles Times’ Mike Bresnahan reports that 79-year-old Lakers owner Jerry Buss succumbed to cancer today.
Lakers owner Jerry Buss passed away this morning. A sad day for L.A.— Mike Bresnahan
Buss has been battling cancer for the last few months, according to USA Today. Since buying the Lakers in 1979, Buss has been the most successful owner in the NBA, winning ten championships — or one about every three seasons — while establishing L.A. as one of the league’s highest-profile franchises.
4. After it was revealed that Buss was battling cancer, a host of famous Lakers voiced their love and support.
Dr. Buss is an important part of the Laker family so I hope his stay in the hospital is short and he has a speedy recovery. #Jerrybuss— Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Dr. Jerry Buss, thinking about u & wish I could be there, get well soon. I cant wait 2 see u on 4/2/13 #LoveYou #Lakers— SHAQ
6. And here’s Buss’ speech when he was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame.
- U.S. presidential candidates are making their final pitches before the New Hampshire primary, the second voting contest of the nominating season 🇺🇸
- At least 8 people are dead and 150 others injured after two trains collided in Bavaria, Germany, local police say.
- The Pentagon has confirmed that North Korea successfully launched a satellite into orbit on Sunday night.