1. This afternoon, ESPN aired an interview between Manti Te’o and journalist Gene Wojciechowski from October 2 regarding Teo’s deceased girlfriend, Lennay Kekua. Wojciechowski then discussed today’s revelation that she does not exist.
Here’s the full story of Manti Te’o and his fake girlfriend, which he’s calling a hoax he fell victim to.
2. Some of the most notable quotes:
He described her as the “most beautiful girl I’ve ever met” and “someone that you talk to every single day.”
“You have to question his judgment, his character, his honesty, even.”
“Short of asking to see a death certificate, i’m not sure what most people would do differently in that case. But in researching it before I wrote the script, I remember trying to find an obituary for his girlfriend and could not.”
Wojciechowski asked to speak to Kekua’s family and see photos of her and Te’o said her family would prefer not to.
Wojciechowski wondered why Notre Dame didn’t get ahead of the story.
- A conservation group in Zimbabwe reported that Jericho, the brother of beloved lion Cecil, was shot and killed by a hunter. But some scientists monitoring the pride believe he is OK.
- Joe Biden has begun to "actively explore a possible presidential campaign," the New York Times reports.
- The trooper who pulled over Sandra Bland was disciplined for "unprofessional conduct" in the fall of 2014, records show.