After playing at Duke, Shelden Williams played at least part of six seasons in the NBA before heading to the Euroleague, where he is now. But the most interesting thing about Williams’ professional career isn’t his performance — it’s that he’s married to Candace Parker, one of the greatest women’s basketball players ever.
Last night, Parker’s WNBA team, the Los Angeles Sparks, played the second game of a best two-out-of-three conference finals against the Minnesota Lynx. The Sparks were already down by one game, and so last night was a do-or-die scenario. Despite putting up an insane line during the game — 33 points, 15 rebounds, 5 assists, 4 blocks — and hitting the shot that put the Sparks up late, Parker was passed over for the attempt at a last-second game-winner in favor of teammate Alana Beard. Beard missed, and the Sparks were knocked out of the playoffs.
Shelden Williams was not happy about the Sparks’ handling of the endgame.
8. Here, he started getting accused of criticizing Parker’s teammate, Beard, and he starts to clarify his position.
10. More like UNCOMMON sense, amirite?
You probably won’t hear Shelden Williams’ name again for a while, so enjoy it.
- The European Union is now using naval vessels in the Mediterranean to intercept boats that are smuggling refugees and migrants to Europe. ›
- Texas carried out its 11th execution of the year on Tuesday — the most of any state — putting to death an inmate who murdered a man over $8. ›
- The U.S. is investigating how a cargo ship with 33 people on board sank during Hurricane Joaquin. The ship went missing in the Caribbean last week. ›