1. During today’s Elite Eight game against Duke, Louisville’s Kevin Ware sustained a broken leg that was one of the most gruesome in sports history. Players on the floor, both Duke and Louisville, looked horrified.
6. Here’s Ware’s coach, Rick Pitino, in tears over the injury.
7. Ware left the stadium on a stretcher. He was reportedly taken to the emergency room with what Lousiville announced as a broken leg.
8. Former NFL quarterback Joe Theismann, who sustained a similarly gruesome leg injury during his career, sent Ware his sympathies.
Watching Duke/ Louisville my heart goes out to Kevin Ware.— Joe Theismann
9. Here’s video of the injury as it happened. WARNING: This video is incredibly graphic.
- Turkey hopes to ease tensions with Russia after it shot down a Russian warplane earlier this week. The countries have differing accounts of the incident. ›
- At least 21 people were killed after a suicide bomber attacked a Shiite Muslim procession of hundreds of people in Nigeria, BBC News reports. ›
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz. ›