1. The wage gap.
In June 1963, President John F. Kennedy signed the Equal Pay Act into legislation and in January 2009, President Obama signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, both intended to level out the gender imbalance in salaries. But in 2014, women still only earn 77 cents for every dollar that a man makes.
2. Limitations on reproductive rights.
Since Roe v. Wade in 1973, abortion is technically legal. But in the last three years over 50 abortion clinics in 27 states have closed down because of laws with intentionally heavy restrictions. These new pieces of legislation ultimately make it impossible for clinics to function.
5. Women are also expected to have children when they’re young.
There’s still pressure on women to have babies and have ‘em young. Apparently 58% of Americans think 25-years-old is the ideal age for women to have their first baby. Meanwhile, the majority of people think men should start having kids when they’re 27.
9. The Miss America Pageant still exists.
Back in 1968, feminists protested the Miss America Pageant on the Atlantic City Boardwalk because they were outraged at how these beauty standards were oppressive to women. In 2014 the contest is still alive and kickin’ and has even spread to a younger demographic of women aged 14-19 with the Miss Teen USA beauty pageant. The contest sends a dangerous message about how specific beauty ideals are connected to success.
11. LGBT-identifying women lack equality.
There are still 33 states where some women can’t get married because same-sex marriage is not legal, not to mention all of the discrimination LGBT folk experience when it comes to adoption, schooling, and gender expression (to name a few).
- Justice Antonin Scalia, who served almost 30 years on the Supreme Court as one of its most prominent and influential conservative voices, died Saturday. He was 79.
- The four members of British indie band Viola Beach and their manager are believed to have died in a car crash in Sweden.
- And U.S. Republican presidential candidates had their nastiest debate yet in South Carolina last night 🇺🇸