Lijiang is a city in China’s southwestern Yunnan Province. According to social media, every other college grad in China dreams of quitting their jobs to become an innkeeper here.
Hang around Chinese social media long enough and you’ll hear about China’s ‘Four New Yuppie Fads’.
But dreaming of moving to Lijiang is about the same order of twee as wanting to open a bookstore in Portland. Tell that to your friends in China and they’ll say, “sure, right.”
So why do young Chinese professionals want to quit their jobs and retire in Lijiang?
1. First of all: compared to the coastal cities, Lijiang’s relatively small, uncluttered and clean (the metro area has 1.2 million people).
2. Yulong Snow Mountain’s glaciers are just a few dozen miles outside of the city.
3. Scene walks thread around the city.
4. And there’s charming historic architecture aplenty.
Lijiang was an important trading post for the Silk Road, and the old city section is a World Heritage site.
6. There’s surprisingly decently nightlife and bars, since it’s consistently one of the most popular vacation spots for young people.
It can apparently feel Venice-ish and over-toured during high travel season, but every idyllic historic city is at risk of that sort of artifice.
7. There’s a laid back music festival there.
9. The city’s near pristine forests, lakes and other outdoor options.
10. It has its own unique culture.
12. And true to its reputation among young travelers, it’s a city of inns and small hideaways.
(But avoid the repeated souvenir shops everywhere.)
- Tunisia's president declared a state of emergency a week after a deadly terror attack on a beach hotel.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- It took a while, but an English national soccer team has finally defeated Germany in a major tournament. England took third place with a 1-0 win over the top-ranked German team in the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Chile defeated Argentina on penalties to win the Copa America tournament. It's the first ever trophy for Chile in the 99 years of the Copa ⚽️