Hang around Chinese social media long enough and you’ll hear about China’s ‘Four New Yuppie Fads’.
But dreaming of moving to Lijiang is about the same order of twee as wanting to open a bookstore in Portland. Tell that to your friends in China and they’ll say, “sure, right.”
So why do young Chinese professionals want to quit their jobs and retire in Lijiang?
1. First of all: compared to the coastal cities, Lijiang’s relatively small, uncluttered and clean (the metro area has 1.2 million people).
2. Yulong Snow Mountain’s glaciers are just a few dozen miles outside of the city.
3. Scene walks thread around the city.
6. There’s surprisingly decently nightlife and bars, since it’s consistently one of the most popular vacation spots for young people.
It can apparently feel Venice-ish and over-toured during high travel season, but every idyllic historic city is at risk of that sort of artifice.
7. There’s a laid back music festival there.
- BuzzFeed News has identified a second member of the ISIS execution cell led by "Jihadi John."