1. Dogs: Heartworms
Humans can get heartworms when a mosquito bites an infected dog then bites you. Yuck. Usually, the human body can ward off heartworm parasites, but in rare cases, the worms travel to your lungs and make lesions.
2. Cats: Toxoplasmosis
Toxoplasmosis is a parasite from cat poop that crawls into human brains and literally changes how you think. It literally makes you LOVE CATS. And eats your brain.
3. Birds: Parrot Fever
Psittacosis, a.k.a. parrot fever, is form of chlamydia that parrots get that they can pass to humans without eve having sex with them Messed up and totally true.
4. Racoons: Roundworms
Bet you thought I was gonna say rabies, right? If you’re sick enough to keep a pet raccoon, have fun when roundworms from it infect your eyes. Nasty.
5. Cats: Cat Scratch Fever (It’s a Real Thing!)
Not just a Ted Nugent song, about half of all outdoor cats have been exposed to this disease. In humans, it can cause painful and itchy swelling at the scratch site, as well as swollen lymph nodes. However, you probably won’t die.
6. Rodents: Plague
Remember the 1400’s? Yeah, these little suckers spread the plague to 1/3 of Europe. And they’re still at it.
7. Horses: West Nile Virus
In 2002, an outbreak of the mosquito-bourne West Nile Virus killed 94 people. It affects birds, humans, and horses, which can transmit it to humans.
8. Dogs: Malta Fever, a.k.a. Brucellosis
In addition to joint pain, fever, and fatigue, Malta fever can be spread from dogs and in humans causes “general malaise”. Sound like anyone (everyone) you know?
9. Rabbits: Rabbit Fever, a.k.a. Tularemia
This can be inhaled and affects the heart, brain and bones. You can also get inflammed lesions on your hands from handling dead rabbits who are infected. Even worse news: you were already handling dead rabbits.
10. Goats: Q Fever
Found in sheep, cows, and goats, Q fever is a bacterial infection that can cause severe flu-like symptoms in humans, and in some cases leading to hepatitis and death from liver failure.
- About 6,500 refugees have reached Austria. Austria and Germany said on Friday that stranded refugees in Hungary could cross their borders. ›
- Rowan County, Kentucky, issued several marriage licenses, but their validity is being questioned because jailed clerk Kim Davis's name isn't on them. ›
- U.S. Vice President Joe Biden said he isn't sure he has the "emotional energy" to run for president. ›