1. A dozen BuzzFeed staff members tried neon sours and geometric peppermints, made using a 3D printer.
Candy of the future, or trendy novelty item? Only one way to find out: have a mystery taste test.
Initial reactions varied:
“Sour Patch/SweeTarts/Kool-Aid powder mashed in my mouth.”
“Reminiscent of diner mints.”
“The size was deceiving. I expected to have more candy in my mouth.”
“I started frowning pretty much the second it went in my mouth. Whatever that was, it’s on a short list of things I don’t plan to eat again.”
The candy was unanimously voted as looking incredibly cool:
“It was beautiful.”
“I liked it. 10/10 would eat the sour one again.”
“It was one of the coolest-looking candies I’ve eaten, though I needed confirmation that it was candy.”
“I liked how it looked, not so much how it tasted.”
Everyone guessed sugar correctly, with some interesting variations:
“A Lifesaver that — somehow — went stale.”
“Sugar, maybe with some paper plates mixed in.”
(The real ingredients: Sugar, starch, water, natural and artificial flavor and colorants, alcohol [<1% by weight].)
The majority were unsure of it as an experience, but some loved it:
“The experience was too short. I needed more.”
“It’s been like five minutes and I can still taste it. And not really in a good way.”
“The initial texture was weird. I liked the sour one, but I think I would destroy my mouth eating tons.”
“It wasn’t chocolate.”
The pieces being too small was one of the main critiques:
“I’d make it bigger. One piece feels like a fraction of a piece of candy.”
“Add butter, probably. Everything tastes better with butter.”
Most would not treat themselves:
“Depends on how much.”
“Probably not, but I would definitely pick some up off a tray of hors d’oeuvres.”
But the law of diminishing returns was revoked when it came to gift-giving:
“Yes, because it’s pretty and people would be amazed.”
“Yeah, I might do that.”
Some were willing to shell the dough. Others, not so much:
“I mean, sure.”
“I WOULD SLAP YOU ACROSS THE FACE.”
“Nope. Hard pass.”
“Hell to the no.”
10. You can buy the 3D confections at The Sugar Lab.
- U.S. presidential candidates are making their final pitches before the New Hampshire primary, the second voting contest of the nominating season 🇺🇸
- At least 8 people are dead and 150 others injured after two trains collided in Bavaria, Germany, local police say.
- The Pentagon has confirmed that North Korea successfully launched a satellite into orbit on Sunday night.