2. “She wouldn’t even look at you,” Rachel said, recalling Lindsay’s first lesson, “she refused to talk and she would hide behind her mom.”
Having grown up with Asperger’s syndrome, Lindsay struggles physically, emotionally, and socially. Though, around horses, things come naturally to her.
3. Lindsay’s social issues are her greatest challenge. Eye contact, communication, affection, and trust are extremely difficult for her.
There were even times when Lindsay felt that she couldn’t trust her own parents. Through her relationship with horses, Lindsay has been able to start overcoming these struggles.
5. One afternoon during a lesson with Lindsay, Rachel pulled out an angry 6-year-old quarter horse named Joleen.
Joleen was infamous for her explosive, unpredictable behavior. Her wild personality once sent Rachel to the hospital with a traumatic head injury and a few broken ribs.
7. With Rachel’s guidance, Lindsay and Joleen made amazing progress.
Lindsay’s balance and motor skills improved along with her confidence. Soon enough, Lindsay was ready to step in the show ring. However, there weren’t any classes for autistic children to compete in.
8. Autistic riders were deemed “unsafe” by the 4-H horse curriculum, but Rachel fought for therapeutic classes to be introduced for Lindsay.
Rachel was the first person to break through and start a 4-H group to open therapeutic classes to all special needs children.
9. With this amazing opportunity, Lindsay and Joleen were ready to take on the Racine County Fair.
Lindsay was nervous, flapping her hands and mumbling before the show began. With the support of Rachel and Joleen, Lindsay was able to pull it together in the ring.
14. Follow Lindsay’s journey on her Facebook page, Lindsay’s Hope-Horses Helping Kick Autism.
- Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders clashed on immigration, Obama, and Kissinger (!) in Thursday's Democratic debate. We have a recap for you 🇺🇸
- NYPD Officer Peter Liang was found guilty of manslaughter in the 2014 shooting of Akai Gurley, an unarmed black man.
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz.