4. And were made by 18-year-old British artist Eleanor Beth Haswell as a part of her senior high school project.
Haswell is a founding of the North East England feminist arts group Clandestine Collective, and creates art around issues like body image and body shaming, domestic violence, and media representation.
5. She also created this quilled pair of undies, entitled, I Don’t Need To Hide Myself From The Possibilities.
“This particular piece responds to topics that I have recently heard being discussed, one of which is new device ‘RapeX’, along with many other ‘anti-rape inventions’.” writes Haswell. “This condom-like invention is described to be easy to insert like a tampon, and has internal spikes that when attached to a penis must be removed in hospital. Many people are ranting and raving about this device, thinking it’s a fantastic idea that will stop rapists getting away unheard. Why should women have to wear a contraption at all times incase they get raped?”
6. As if to confirm the artist’s point that people really are uncomfortable with female anatomy, the response to Haswell’s designs have been rather predictable.
- Former Virginia Gov. Jim Gilmore is dropping out of the race for the Republican presidential nomination. He got 133 votes in New Hampshire.
- Venezuela is reporting hospitalizations and three deaths as the Zika virus, which is linked to birth defects, spreads.
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz.