1. The stars of Pretty Little Liars recently posed for a bikini photoshoot for GQ magazine.
It appears in the mag’s June 2014 issue.
2. Some people noticed that the girls seemed rather Photoshopped, which prompted Troian Bellisario, who plays know-it-all Spencer on the show, to write a defense of the photoshoot on Instagram.
3. She wrote:
“So by now you have seen many a shot from #GQ and many people have said that we were photoshopped… OF COURSE WE WERE! That’s a very specific type of photo shoot. And looking very blown out and perfected was obviously what they were looking for. Great. Cool. As long as we acknowledge how it was achieved so we know it’s not real. Here’s some behind the scenes of my body the way it is and was on the day. I’m not mad at how these pictures turned out, the girls and I had an absolute blast. More fun than we’ve had on a photoshoot in a while, and I think you can see that in our eyes and smiles. But it’s the same everywhere. It’s the same way on the posters of our show and even in women’s magazines. This industry seems to invest more in perfection than in flaw. But flaw and individuality, to me, are what make a human being interesting, they make our stories worth telling. (Unfortunately the flaws don’t usually sell products or magazines) I’m proud of my body and the way it looks because @themarkwildman kicks my butt in aerial. But my hips and thighs are a part of me (even though they magically weren’t in some shots!) I get those things from my momma. And I’m happy To shake what my momma gave me.”
4. The Liars are no strangers to Photoshopping drama.
Last December, Ashley Benson, who plays Hanna on the show, criticized a promotional poster for being overly airbrushed.
6. Both Bellisario and her costar Lucy Hale, who plays Aria, have both opened up about past battles with eating disorders.
In a cover story in Cosmopolitan, Hale admitted that she used to go days without eating. “Or maybe I’d have some fruit and then go to the gym for three hours.” she said.
And Bellisario admitted to similar struggles. “[Lucy and I] both had been through very similar things,” she told Seventeen. “We are a good form of support for each other when we see each other slipping backward or in need of support.”
So it can’t be easy for them to tackle these issue of body image head on.
7. Bellisario did have the best things to say about her Liars costars, airbrushing or no:
“I mean. Photoshopped or not. I work with three of the most gorgeous women on the planet. (Goddesses without hair and make up as well) @shaym @itsashbenzo @lucyhale #gq”