1. Banana Republic just unveiled its new series of ads featuring real-life couples, including interior designers Nate Berkus and his fiancé Jeremiah Brent.
2. The ads show Berkus and Brent hanging out, canoodling and spending quality time together, adorably.
4. The ads aim to “reflect our world and how we live in a true, genuine way,” said Banana Republic Chief Creative Officer Trey Laird.
5. Banana Republic isn’t the only mega-retailer to feature same-sex couples in recent years.
6. In 2011, J. Crew featured their designer Somsack Sikhounmuong with his boyfriend Micah in an advertisement.
7. In 2012, Ray-Ban also featured a same-sex couple, as a part of their “never hide” campaign.
9. That same year, Target also launched a series of wedding registry ads, one of which featured a gay couple.
10. J.C. Penney featured same-sex moms in a 2012 campaign.
And experienced major backlash from the conservative American Family Association’s One Million Moms lobbying group.
11. So far, Banana Republic hasn’t experienced any backlash, in part because of its fairly young, liberal customer base.
Which is right in line with what Banana Republic’s global chief marketing officer Catherine Sadler says are the company’s core values of “diversity and inclusion.”
So maybe we’ll be seeing more great same-sex ads from BR in the future!