1. Isabel Toledo is a Cuban-born designer probably best-known for creating the gorgeous dress Michelle Obama wore to the 2009 presidential inauguration ceremony.
2. Which is why it’s kind of a big deal that Toledo partnered with plus-size retailer Lane Bryant to create an affordable plus-size line.
3. The collection, says Toledo, is focused on “proportion and fit, which can be a challenge at any size.”
4. Lane Bryant recognizes, too, that plus-size women are sick of just wearing the same basic thing.
“There’s a myth that this client only wants basics,” said Linda Heasley, the company’s chief executive. “She has been told she can’t wear horizontal stripes or she can’t wear belts. That’s not true. We wanted to change the conversation.”
5. The 25-piece collection includes dresses, shirts, jackets, and bags.
Many of the items in the collection go up to size 28.
7. Hopefully Toledo’s collection will encourage other designers to create clothes for plus-size customers.
“Maybe this category has not been addressed as much, but that’s changing,” said Toledo of the plus size market. “Women of all types are great customers if they love fashion.”