a.k.a. the Ice Queen.
She is an Olympic champion, a two-time World champion, Four Continents champion, a three-time Grand Prix Final champion, the 2005 Junior Grand Prix Final champion, and a six-time South Korean national champion.
1. She’s a Guinness World Record Holder.
For the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, she had a total score of 228.56 - the highest score since the creation of the ISU Judging System, registering her in the Guinness World Records.
She skated this James Bond medley for her short program in the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, setting a new world record of 78.50 points!!!
3. She was featured in the Time 100
Figure Skating legend Michelle Kwan wrote “I have never seen a skater with such a combination of artistry and athleticism.” Read the excerpt here.
4. She’s a great Ice Dancer as well…
5. Every Korean guy wants to marry her.
Can you blame them?
6. Every Korean girl wants to be her.
Can you blame us?
7. Even other Olympic skaters fangirl over her.
Gracie Gold: “I finally got a picture with Yuna!!!! #fangirling”
Polina Edmunds: “Yellow wassuppp. Yay for an official picture with the amazing Yuna Kim! #sochi2014 #yunakim #queenyuna”
8. She’s the 6th highest paid female athlete.
According to Forbes, she has total earnings of $14 million.
9. She’s the Queen of endorsements.
She can pretty much sell anything from makeup to bread to beer.
10. But she uses her fortune wisely and generously.
To say Yuna is a philanthropist would be an understatement. Yuna was appointed a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador in 2010 and has used her fame & fortune to help those in need across the globe, including relief efforts in Haiti, Japan, and the Philippines. This past year, she donated her entire prize reward of $100,000 to the victims of the typhoon in the Philippines. Read more about her humanitarian work here and here.
11. She’s tight with the baddest boys in K-Pop.
Big Bang (one of the most popular K-Pop groups) had the honor of working with Yuna for their Hyundai’s Shouting Korea campaign during the World Cup.
12. Which reminds me, she’s a pretty talented singer!
Collaborating with K-Pop’s brightest stars like IU and Girl’s Generation’s Taeyeon.
15. She’s a published author.
She published two books: Seven-Minute Drama, in which she chronicles her figure skating experience since the age of seven, and Like Kim Yuna, which is aimed for younger readers/fans.
16. She’s an inspiration to young figure skaters.
Aside from donating to young skaters in the “Little Yuna Youth Skaters Support Project” Campaign, her success has brought hope and aspiration back into the sport, inspiring a new generation of skaters.
17. Even Google acknowledges her royalty.
I see what you did there.
So with warmest regards…
Thank you for gracing us with your beautiful skating.
- Rallies for climate change action are taking place around the world ahead of the United Nations climate talks in Paris. ›
- Planned Parenthood officials said they believed Friday's shooting at a Colorado Springs clinic was motivated by opposition to abortion. ›
- And watch a man react to the modern world after spending 44 years in prison. ›