Tennis player Rafael Nadal during a ceremony in Madrid July 14.
MADRID (AP) — Rafael Nadal has pulled out of the London Olympics, saying he is ‘not in condition’ to compete.
Nadal said in a statement Thursday it is one of the saddest moments of his career and that he will not travel with the Spanish delegation to London. He was set to be the flag bearer for Spain during the opening ceremony.
Nadal won gold in Beijing in 2008.
Nadal has not played since he was eliminated in the second round of Wimbledon to then 100th-ranked Lukas Rosol.
Nadal during his match against Czech Republic’s Lukas Rosol on day four of the 2012 Wimbledon Championships.
Nadal leaving the court after losing his second round to Rosol.
5. Hopefully this didn’t happen again…
6. We know for sure this didn’t happen.
- A Memphis police officer was shot dead on Saturday night while conducting a routine traffic stop, according to a statement from the Memphis Police Department.
- A conservation group in Zimbabwe reported that Jericho, the brother of beloved lion Cecil, was shot and killed by a hunter. But some scientists monitoring the pride believe he is OK.
- Joe Biden has begun to "actively explore a possible presidential campaign," the New York Times reports.