Tennis player Rafael Nadal during a ceremony in Madrid July 14.
MADRID (AP) — Rafael Nadal has pulled out of the London Olympics, saying he is ‘not in condition’ to compete.
Nadal said in a statement Thursday it is one of the saddest moments of his career and that he will not travel with the Spanish delegation to London. He was set to be the flag bearer for Spain during the opening ceremony.
Nadal won gold in Beijing in 2008.
Nadal has not played since he was eliminated in the second round of Wimbledon to then 100th-ranked Lukas Rosol.
Nadal during his match against Czech Republic’s Lukas Rosol on day four of the 2012 Wimbledon Championships.
Nadal leaving the court after losing his second round to Rosol.
5. Hopefully this didn’t happen again…
6. We know for sure this didn’t happen.
- Tunisia's president declared a state of emergency a week after a deadly terror attack on a beach hotel.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- It took a while, but an English national soccer team has finally defeated Germany in a major tournament. England took third place with a 1-0 win over the top-ranked German team in the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Chile defeated Argentina on penalties to win the Copa America tournament. It's the first ever trophy for Chile in the 99 years of the Copa ⚽️