Tennis player Rafael Nadal during a ceremony in Madrid July 14.
MADRID (AP) — Rafael Nadal has pulled out of the London Olympics, saying he is ‘not in condition’ to compete.
Nadal said in a statement Thursday it is one of the saddest moments of his career and that he will not travel with the Spanish delegation to London. He was set to be the flag bearer for Spain during the opening ceremony.
Nadal won gold in Beijing in 2008.
Nadal has not played since he was eliminated in the second round of Wimbledon to then 100th-ranked Lukas Rosol.
Nadal during his match against Czech Republic’s Lukas Rosol on day four of the 2012 Wimbledon Championships.
Nadal leaving the court after losing his second round to Rosol.
5. Hopefully this didn’t happen again…
6. We know for sure this didn’t happen.
- U.S. Republican presidential candidates debated in New Hampshire ahead of Tuesday's primary, and the gloves were off 🇺🇸
- North Korea launched a rocket that the country said was carrying a satellite, but which some critics believe was a way to test prohibited missile technology.
- Beyoncé dropped a new song and video called "Formation". She's performing at the Super Bowl on Sunday 👑🐝