1. This is McKayla Maroney.
2. You remember her from the perfect vault she did in the Women’s Team Gymnastics final.
3. The one that was so good it made the judge’s jaw drop.
4. Well yesterday was the Women’s Vault Final, and Maroney was the hands down favorite to win gold.
5. Her first vault was unsurprisingly awesome.
She did land slightly on the red, which is good for a deduction, but as the announcer Shannon Miller said, “she has so little execution deduction in the air, that it’ll still be a huge score.” It was. Maroney’s 15.866 would be and remain the highest scored single vault in the Women’s Vault Final.
7. But on the second vault the unthinkable happened.
Maroney fell down. According to Deadspin Maroney hadn’t missed on a vault in her last 33 attempts. Even with the fall, she ended up missing out on gold by only .108 points.
Maroney’s reaction to winning silver? Let out your inner “mean girl.”
13. The “Do I look like I want to hug you right now?”
14. The Avoidance Eye Roll
15. The Dagger Eyes
16. The “Did you really think I’d be happy with silver?” Face
- Dylann Roof wants to plead guilty to the charges against him in the Charleston church shooting, his attorney said, but a judge entered a not guilty plea for him on Friday.
- The U.S. Coast Guard has suspended its search for two teenagers who went missing a week ago off the coast of Florida.
- Beijing will host the 2022 Winter Olympics, becoming the first city to host both the summer and winter games.