1. During halftime of last night’s game, Bob Costas took a minute to address the Jovan Belcher situation, and gun control.
2. Many on Twitter were furious with Costas…
4. But I for one was impressed by his candor, and his timing. Too often we accuse people of “politicizing a tragedy,” when in fact what they’re doing is exploring how that tragedy could have been avoided at the time when those questions are best asked.
5. Gun control is a complicated issue, but if this isn’t a time to address it, I don’t know what is. So to Costas and Jason Whitlock:
In The News Today
- Texas Southern University went on lockdown after an assailant shot two people. Their conditions are unknown and the suspect is at large. ›
- The U.S. ended its $500 million program that trains and equips Syrian rebels in their fight against ISIS. ›
- The National Dialogue Quartet in Tunisia won the 2015 Nobel Peace Prize for its role in building a democracy there. ›