1. Bobby McFerrin’s “Don’t Worry Be Happy” was the biggest song of the year.
2. “Rambo III” topped the year’s box office.
4. Kirk Gibson’s game-winning World Series home run captured the country’s imagination.
6. The world had not yet had a real Batman movie.
8. Ben Johnson had just set the new world record in the 100m at the Seoul Olympics only to test positive for steroids and have his gold medal stripped.
9. Barack Obama was only 27 years old.
Olivier Douliery/Abaca Press / MCT
10. “Yo! MTV Raps” had just debuted.
11. Not a single member of Notre Dame’s football team was born.
Michael Conroy, File / AP