1. Matt Harvey is the starting pitcher of the All-Star game in his first full Major League season.
Drafted in the first round of the 2010 draft, Harvey spent three years at UNC. He was projected as a number two starter; instead, he’s a sick, sick ace.
2. He repped hard at the All-Star game.
Sure, he got into a little bit of trouble in the first inning, but overall, Harvey pitched two scoreless innings, with 3 K’s — including one on a filthy riding fastball.
9. When he pitches, Mets fans declare it a holiday: Harvey Day!
11. Good god that’s terrifying!
12. This guy tried to haze him as a rookie. Didn’t work out.
As Yahoo! reported, Jon Rauch, a 6’10” relief pitcher drenched in tattoo ink, dumped a bucket of ice water on Harvey while he was napping. So Harvey, a 23-year-old rookie, got in his face and challenged him to a fight.
Rauch politely declined.
14. But it doesn’t mean he’s not a willing to lend a helpful hand.
16. He doesn’t play it safe, either
20. So yeah, it’s pretty easy for the guy to laugh at himself.
23. Don’t worry; Harvey is excited about the challenge.
“I love the idea of coming into a struggling franchise and seeing if I can help them win,” he said. “First off, I hate to lose. At anything. Secondly, who doesn’t want to be the guy to help turn something around?”
- U.S. Republican presidential candidates will debate Saturday at 9 p.m. ET on CBS for the first time since Donald Trump's win in New Hampshire.
- Up to 150,000 penguins may have been killed by an iceberg blocking their access to the sea.
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz.