1. In the film, Robin Williams’ character Daniel Hillard is transformed into the elderly Mrs. Euphegenia Doubtfire with a hilarious montage and a single latex mask.
2. In reality, the cinematic transformation was much more complicated.
3. Ve Neill, make-up artist known for her work on Pirates of the Caribbean and The Hunger Games, spent four and a half hours every day applying the elaborate makeup.
4. The multi-piece mask, designed by Dick Smith and Greg Cannom, was designed in several pieces to allow for more facial expression.
6. And all the blemishes and wrinkles had to be painted and molded on every day.
7. After sitting in the makeup chair for 270 minutes a day, Robin Williams still kept a sense of humor.
8. In a Reddit AMA last year, he told the story of going to an adult toy store in full makeup during filming.
“I walked into a sex shop in San Francisco and tried to buy a (sex toy). Just because. Why not? And the guy was about to sell it to me until he realized it was me, Robin Williams, not an older Scottish woman coming in to look for a very large (sex toy) and a jar of lube,” he wrote.
10. It was also named the 67th funniest film of the 20th century by the American Film Institute.
11. Thanks for the laughs, Robin.
- Record-breaking freediver, Natalia Molchanova, is feared dead. She disappeared while diving off the coast of Spain on Sunday.