1. Terry Richardson, known for his anti-glam point-and-shoot style (and being the target of sexual assault allegations), shot Mariah Carey for the summer issue of the London-based Wonderland magazine at his New York studio.
2. But as you can see from the un-retouched images obtained exclusively by Jezebel, his anti-glam, high-flash style isn’t safe from the retoucher.
The printed images required lots of physical changes to Mimi’s body and face, which are typical of cover image shoots. But the biggest change was the extensive color and lighting correction. Even Uncle Terry himself needed an entirely new digital paint job to be fit for print.
3. The rest of the photos, seen on Jezebel, have the same blanket color correction—even on Mariah’s children.
“What’s supposed to be so remarkable about Richardson’s signature style,” Jezebel points out, “is how his otherwise amateur methods, when used to shoot high-profile celebs, create uniquely candid portraits that appear to be at once documentary and aspirational.”
4. This isn’t the first time Mariah has been involved in a photo controversy, but what has come to be known as the “Terry Richardson Style of Photography” no longer seems to be publishable quality by the major magazines that continue to hire him.
- Planned Parenthood officials said they believed Friday's shooting at a Colorado Springs clinic was motivated by opposition to abortion. ›
- World leaders are gathering in Paris for the United Nations summit on climate change 🌍 ›
- And Kobe Bryant wrote a poem announcing that he's retiring from professional basketball at the end of this season 🏀🎭 ›