1. Starting July 25, Spanx will expand its shapewear and undergarment line to include two styles of jeans.
The first is high-waisted with a wide maternity-esque waistband and a side zipper. The second is a traditional low-waisted jean called the Slim-X with “hidden shaping features.”
The first product from Spanx, developed by the country’s “youngest self-made billionaire” Sara Blakely, was a pair of footless leggings intended to be worn under pants for a “blemish-free” look. The company’s new line of denim will take out the middleman (which in this case is themselves).
3. As all Spanx-wearers know, the “slimming” and “blemish-free” part of shapewear comes from tightness and compression. But it also comes at a price.
Huffington Post interviewed three doctors on the effects of Spanx, who said that prolonged compression of your stomach, diaphragm, intestines, bladder, and colon can lead to many severe medical maladies, including acid reflux, erosive esophagitis, shallow breath, stress incontinence, blood clots, folliculitis, lymph congestion, varicose veins, and yeast infections.
4. Dr. Maryannn Mikhail also told HuffPo that the risks for these conditions are higher in overweight individuals, who are a target demographic for shapewear.
5. The celebrity-endorsed Spanx brand has been expanding from undergarments in recent years.
Its line now includes swimsuits, leggings, men’s Spanx, and something called a “Bra for Your Butt,” but this new denim line is the biggest step the company has taken to expand their market reach.
6. Another possible result of prolonged use of shapewear? Bloating.
So, the more you use Spanx, the more you’ll need them?
We've got your WKND covered.
- Tunisia's president declared a state of emergency a week after a deadly terror attack on a beach hotel.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- It took a while, but an English national soccer team has finally defeated Germany in a major tournament. England took third place with a 1-0 win over the top-ranked German team in the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Chile defeated Argentina on penalties to win the Copa America tournament. It's the first ever trophy for Chile in the 99 years of the Copa ⚽️