1. Having Fresh Flowers
There’s no better way to brighten up your home than by adding a few colorful blooms. Even a cheap $5 bunch goes a long way. Spread the cheer by splitting up a bouquet and putting some in each room.
2. This $11 Italian Showerhead
People who have this showerhead LOVE it. One person bought two so they can take it with them when they travel. For less than the price of lunch, this baby will turn shoddy water pressure into a spa-like experience. Get it here.
3. Buying New Socks
They will be soft. They will both match. They will be clean. Studies show that changing into fresh socks in the middle of the day can be zen-like and stress-reducing.
4. Splurging on a Fancy Cuppa
It feels more extravagant to get one $5 extra-cream-jumbo-mocha Latte every so often than a basic $3 cup of joe every day. You can make up for it by BYOing for the rest of the week. Go grande or go home.
5. Buying a New Toothbrush
Even better — buy a pretty one. This company makes one that’s a three-in-one deal: Biodegradable bamboo brushes are better for the environment, good for your oral health, and for each one you purchase, they donate one to a child in need.
6. Adding a Water Filter to Your Shower
Even if you live in a city with good water, this will make it better. Softer skin and hair, plus less buildup which means less cleaning. All for <$25. Get it here.
7. Getting Bulk Candy
It’s like having an entire convenience store in your house. It’s a DIY adult Halloween. “Which candy would you like?” “Yes, please.” Get it here.
8. Putting Your Kitchen Sponge in This Holder
No more soggy sponge, hidden somewhere under three weeks worth of crusty pans. No more mildew. You might still be washing your own dishes, but nothing will transform the experience like this inexpensive and genius invention. Get one here.
9. Using Cloth Napkins
Even leftovers will feel like a five-star affair if you replace paper towels with cloth napkins. Bonus points if you fold them into something fancy. Learn how here.
10. Leaving an Extra-Big Tip
Give your Barista an extra couple bucks for making your mornings bearable. Or leave an extra fiver on your dinner tip. In the grand scheme of things it’s a cheap way to brighten both your and your server’s day.
11. Scoring a Last-Minute Theater Ticket
Nothing says “bourgeois” like listening to a lady in a ball gown sing loudly in a language you don’t understand. Many theaters and opera houses have day-of or “rush” tickets for productions that are steeply discounted.
12. Saying “Yes” to a $1 Donation
We’re programmed to say “no” to any additional purchase when we’re standing in line, but saying “yes” to a small charitable donation can actually make you feel like you’re splurging on something that matters.
13. Getting Something Tailored
You might not have a couturier on speed dial but you can get that custom-fit feeling for way less than you might think. Dry cleaners and tailors will often take up hems or take in coats or shirts for $10 or $15.
14. Having Fresh Berries
Out-of-season fruit can be hella expensive. Downright criminal, even. But in the middle of winter, when everything including your food starts to look that same sad brown color, having a box of bright colorful berries all to yourself is totally worth spending out on.
15. Using Fancy Salon Hair Products
Most hair-care products are supposed to be used in tiny doses, so a $20–30 investment can make you and your hair feel fancy-schmancy for a long time.
16. Getting a Manicure
Noble men and women have been getting manicures for over 5,000 years. But this luxurious status symbol has come a long way from the Ming Dynasty days of solid-gold nail clippers. Splurging on a cheap manicure will make you feel like a true royal.
17. Buying a Travel-Sized Bottle of Your Favorite Lotion
Keep it in your backpack or purse and you can have never-worked-a-day-in-your-life hands anytime you want. Plus, they’re so cuuuuuttte.
18. Getting Your Shoes Shined
Most department stores, like Nordstrom, actually have in-store shoeshine departments. You could also buy some $5 shoe polish and DIY for an even cheaper splurge. Go ahead, kick up your heels.
19. Ordering Dessert
Give yourself permission for a final course when you’re eating out. Better yet — eat dinner at home and go out just for dessert. You’ll feel like a million bucks for (slightly) less than a million calories.
20. Springing for a Fun-cercize Class
From SoulCycling to sword fighting to trampoline jumping, there are some crazy ways to get in shape. Investing in a trial class for something exciting is a better splurge than that cheap gym membership that never gets used.
21. Putting Your Bath Products in Pretty Matching Bottles
This cheap DIY is a great way to make your bathroom feel like a luxury spa. See how to do it here.
22. Getting Something Monogrammed
23. Giving Someone a “Just Because” Gift
Channel Daddy Warbucks, without the war. Give someone you know a gift just because. For just a few bucks you can brighten someone’s day.
24. Getting a Blowout
Nothing says royal treatment like someone else washing your hair for you. A simple blowout can be had for around $25–30. Treat yourself.
25. Using a Sharp Knife
26. Carrying Disposable Screen Cleaning Wipes
Every time your wipe your computer/phone/tablet/glasses you’ll feel like they’re basically brand new. Get some here.
27. Subscribing to a Monthly Gift Box
28. Wearing Fancy Underwear
Give your tush the royal treatment with some fancy new undergarments.
29. Ordering an Overpriced Glass of Wine
It might cost more than the whole bottle, but something about having someone else pour it for you feels totally posh.
30. Buying an Actual Magazine
In the digital age, buying printed magazines and newspapers feels like a thing of the past. But getting a hard copy version of your favorite publication can also feel like a treat.
31. Using a Pretty Tea Cup/Coffee Mug
For the price of two fancy lattes, you can get a beautiful cup to have at home. Get them here.
We've got your WKND covered.
- Greece will decide on Sunday whether they will accept austerity measures as a condition of a bailout that may stave off an imminent financial and economic crisis.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- It took a while, but an English national soccer team has finally defeated Germany in a major tournament. England took third place with a 1-0 win over the top-ranked German team in the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Chile defeated Argentina on penalties to win the Copa America tournament. It's the first ever trophy for Chile in the 99 years of the Copa ⚽️