Have you spent every Thursday without your Gladiators drinking wine and eating popcorn on a boring empty couch? Do you wish you could just live in Shonda-Rhimes-land every night? Olivia Pope can fix all your problems. Celebrate the return of Scandal by making your own Olivia-inspired space with these buys and DIYs.
1. Cozy up the couch.
The designers for the show said the overall feel for Olivia’s apartment was “smooth and feminine” with “very simple colors” that give that “ethereal effect.” But the most important thing was making the space comfortable. Her couch, a custom tight-backed model from Cisco, is always stacked with cozy throws and patterned pillows.
You’re gunna want to cuddle on it for more than just One Minute.
2. Tuft your headboard.
From the original concept board tweeted by Scandal Set Decorator @smariebailey to the final result, the vibe for Liv’s boudoir has always been a blend of cozy and elegant. Tufted headboards like this are a great way to add texture and glamor to your room. Check out some great DIY tutorials here and here.
3. Embroider yourself some bedding.
4. Add mirrors to your closet doors.
An easy way to make any room look bigger. Even from creepy spy camera angles.
5. Layer up your lighting.
6. Make a gallery wall around your TV.
Though Olivia’s living room decor has changed since this shot from season one, this technique is a great way of blending anything big like a TV into the rest of the room’s decor. Here’s a great tutorial on how to do it.
7. Stud your seating.
The matching nail heads on Olivia’s mis-matched dining chairs unify the space and give it a little edge. You can find similar French Art-Deco style side chairs here, and learn how to add your own studs.
8. Another tip from Scandal’s set designer: paint the walls Nantucket Gray.
9. Stock up on orchids.
10. Buy a bone-inlay mirror.
11. DIY this door.
12. GYOC (Gild Your Own Coffee Table)
13. Build a better bookshelf.
14. Add some soothing art.
15. Simulate the subway tile in the kitchen.
16. DON’T FORGET THE WINE GLASSES.
The most important part of a Pope-d out apartment. Get the exact same ones here.
For all the dirty details on the rest of the Scandal sets, check out the blog here.
- President Obama on Monday declared a major disaster in South Carolina, where floods have killed at least 12 people and left tens of thousands stranded. ›
- California has become the fifth U.S. state to legalize physician-assisted suicide for terminally ill patients. ›
- Russia is reportedly preparing to send ground troops to aid Syria's campaign against rebel forces. ›