1. It keeps your kidneys healthy.
A Finland study found that beer had more kidney benefits than other alcoholic drinks; each bottle of beer that men consumed daily lowered their risk of developing kidney stones by 40%.
2. It has fiber.
Beer, especially dark beer, pours up about a gram of soluble fiber in each 12-ounce bottle. Fiber helps lower your levels of LDL, the “bad” kind of cholesterol.
Wine has none. SUCK IT, WINE.
3. The White House brews its own beer.
Drinking beer is patriotic. Every time you finish a pint, you’re basically Lee Greenwood.
4. And POTUS himself has been known to enjoy a pint.
5. Beer can boost your levels of B vitamins.
A Dutch study found that beer-drinking participants had 30% higher levels of vitamin B6 levels in their blood than their non-drinking counterparts, and twice as much as wine drinkers.
Another bonus: Beer also contains vitamin B12 and folic acid.
7. Beer has a rich history: It’s one of the oldest beverages that humans have produced.
The Ebla tablets, which date back to c. 2500 BCE in Mesopotamia, reveal that brewing beer was a popular occupation for women. Beer made from baked barley bread was part of the daily diet of Egyptian pharaohs.
8. Beer even hydrates “slightly better” than water.
Researchers in a recent study even recommended “moderate consumption” of beer as part of an athlete’s diet.
9. It’s good for your bones.
A 2009 study found the high levels of silicon in beer can be good for your bone density. I’ll drink to that.
10. There are 400 different types of beer.
And you should definitely try them all. Better get started.
11. Beer floats are DELICIOUS.
Yes, that’s beer and ice cream, and despite what you might think, it can be really, really delicious. Try a cherry lambic with vanilla ice cream, a pint of Guinness with vanilla bean ice cream, or a raspberry wheat ale with chocolate ice cream.
12. A chemical compound in hops contains antiviral properties.
Researchers in Sapporo, Japan, found that the compound humulone provides an effective guard against a virus that can cause severe forms of pneumonia and bronchitis in children.
Someone would have to drink around 30, 12-ounce cans for humulone to have any virus-fighting effect, however. But it’s the thought that counts. Bottoms up!
13. George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, and James Madison were all beer brewers and drinkers.
Madison even entertained the idea of creating a federal brewery. God bless America.
(Photo: George Washington’s beer recipe)
14. Because you’re going to need a bunch of empties to make this cool beer chandelier.
16. It could be good for your future political career.
The former prime minister of Australia once set a beer-chugging record. As a student at Oxford, Bob Hawke downed a yard of ale in 11 seconds; he claims the feat endeared him to the beer-drinking community and earned him new constituents.
17. There are giant floating space clouds full of BEER.
Not kidding.The alcohol in them could make 400 trillion trillion pints of beer. Unfortunately, it’s about 10,000 light years away. But this is proof that the universe is PRO-drinking.
18. Guinness is actually a light beer.
At 125 calories a pint, it clocks in with fewer calories than Budweiser and Coors, and most ales and lagers. So drink up, Guinness fans: it’s basically the same thing as eating a kale salad. BASICALLY.
19. Beer is feminist.
The first brewers were mostly women, and colonial women ran most of the ancient beer halls and taverns. The Greeks viewed wine as a manly drink, while beer was seen as feminine and less classy. Read more here.
20. It helps you sleep.
Beer contains lactoflavin and nicotinic acid, both of which promote zzz’s.
21. And finally, beer is delicious and refreshing.
What other reason do you need?
- President Obama unveiled a climate change plan on Monday that calls for federal limits on the amount of carbon power plants can produce.
- Puerto Rico has failed to make a $58 million debt payment, and credit rating agency Moody's says the U.S. territory is in default.
- The man accused of fatally shooting a Memphis, Tennessee, police officer on Saturday has turned himself in.