1. On Wednesday, during New York Fashion Week, Subway held a Project Runway-inspired competition fashion show.
Four designers each had to make two dresses using only materials from Subway restaurants.
2. They had to use items like sandwich wrappers, napkins, salad bowls, and gift cards.
4. There were celebrity judges, of course. Most notably: Mel B, a.k.a. Scary Spice.
After the show, Mel B told BuzzFeed she was “very impressed” by the designers’ work: “I thought it was just going to be like, draped stuff that had no real detail. But this had proper detail!”
During the Spice Girl years, she said, she made a lot of her own clothes: “Back in the day, that’s all I used to wear. Me and Geri were the worst at it.”
Regrettably, she did not make it to fellow Spice Girl Victoria Beckham’s show this fashion week. “We’re all very supportive of each other, but I’m busy doing America’s Got Talent, I literally sneaked out for this,” she said. “Her collections are always stunning.”
5. Subway Jared was there too.
6. Also! Before the Subway show, some other designers presented collections, one of which included this snake bikini.
7. But back to Subway, because the dresses really were pretty exceptional.
10. This designer, Danilo Gabrielli, was chosen as the winner.
He said he spent 14 hours over the course of two weeks making the dresses.
We've got your WKND covered.
- Police confirmed 71 people, likely refugees who fled Syria, were found dead in a truck abandoned in Austria. The suspected drivers have been arrested. ›
- President Obama marked a decade of recovery after Hurricane Katrina, citing gains, but also the immense amount of work that he said still needs to be done. ›
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said (on Faceboook, obviously) that one billion people used the service on Monday 🌐 ›