1. Newport, RI hosted the country’s first ever circus in 1774.
2. It is illegal to throw pickle juice on a trolley in Rhode Island.
3. Rhode Island’s official state name is the State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations
4. The Industrial Revolution began in Rhode Island after Samuel Slater developed and constructed the first ever water-powered cotton mill in 1790.
5. Rhode Island was home to the first outdoor polo match ever played on US soil in 1876.
7. AND the first National Lawn Tennis Championship in 1899.
8. The official state bird is a chicken, the Rhode Island Red.
9. Rhode Island was named after the Greek island of Rhodes.
10. Rhode Island never approved the 18th amendment A.K.A. prohibition.
11. While some believe it is an urban myth, it was reportedly once illegal in Providence, RI, to sell toothpaste and a toothbrush to the same customer on a Sunday.
MINI. NOT NORMAL.
Note: This post has been revised since its original publication