1. Work a pencil skirt like nobody’s business.
A high-waisted pencil skirt is flattering on pretty much everyone. It cinches at your smallest part, your waist, with makes your curves look super va-va-voom.
2. Scarves are your best friend.
Having a bad hair day? Put a scarf on it. Going outside on a windy day? Put a scarf on it. Need to pin back your bangs? Put a scarf on it!
Not a necessity, but a good look for those with longer faces. Super cute and surprisingly versatile.
4. Animal print isn’t just for Jersey girls.
Whoever said leopard isn’t a “basic” is totally out of the loop.
5. Get retro with your eyewear.
It may seem like an homage to Lisa Loeb, but this super chic, retro accessory will take you from nerdy to glam in no time.
6. Don’t skimp on your hair accessories.
A flower or a feather can do wonders for a basic outfit. Just don’t go too big, otherwise you’ll be venturing into showgirl territory. ;)
7. Don’t be afraid of curlers.
These guys aren’t just for your granny. Sleep with them in and get the perfect, bouncy curls the next morning. Highly underrated and much better for your hair than hot irons.
8. Master the perfect cat eye with liquid liner.
A little “mreooow” never hurt anyone.
9. A red lip is drama at its finest.
Just remember: If you are going for a bright and dramatic lip, tone down the rest of your makeup to avoid looking too sharp and intense. Some mascara and a little eyeliner on your top lid will do just fine.
10. Don’t be afraid to have a little fun.
When asked about the attention she gets from dressing over the top, Dita Von Teese said: “Nothing great comes without risk, and only the very mediocre are safe from being poked fun at.” Good advice, Dita. We’re with ya all the way.