Start off by cutting a basic pair of shorts.
Here’s everything you need to know about making cutoffs that won’t cause chronic underbutt, unless of, course, that’s the look you’re going for.
Now that you’ve got your simple pair of jorts, THE WORLD IS YOUR DENIM OYSTER.
3. Dip dye ‘em.
Instructions here. Be sure to rinse the shorts with vinegar and water after bleaching, to stop you’re precious cutoffs from dissolving into thin air.
4. Bleach only one leg of the shorts to achieve a contrasting look.
Basically, you just need to dip dye in the opposite direction than usual.
6. Tranform the back pockets into adorable bows.
This tutorial only requires a needle, thread, and the jeans themselves.
7. Embellish with doilies.
Perfect for when you want to say “I’m not afraid to show off my hot bod OR pledge my allegiance to grandmas everywhere.”
8. Add some polka dots.
Follow these directions. Surprisingly, light grey paint works best when it comes to painting dots on denim.
9. Or a heart print.
This tutorial is meant for a full length pair of jeans, but could easily be used on cut offs.
10. Stamp on flowers to create a patterned effect.
11. Use a stencil to add a leopard print.
Detailed instructions here.
13. Distress the edges.
These instructions shows you how to fray your cutoffs in the most effective way possible.
14. Add lace trim.
It’s like you’re wearing bloomers under your cutoffs. Sexy bloomers.
16. Add a galaxy print.
Follow this tutorial to achieve a similar look.
17. Make them ikat print.
This ingenious method only requires bleach and a fountain pen.
18. Dip dye AND add a geometric print.
Kill two trendy birds with one stone.
19. Add a frayed heart to the back pocket.
22. Or bleach them completely and then tie dye them.
23. Dye them rainbow.
Follow these instructions to achieve a similar effect.
- Thai police have issued two new arrest warrants as the search widens for the suspects behind Bangkok's deadly shrine bombing. ›
- Wes Craven, who directed "Scream" and "A Nightmare on Elm Street," has died of brain cancer. He was 76. ›
- For the first time in history, there are three major hurricanes in the Pacific east of the International Dateline at the same time. ›