Try it. You will need:
1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce
2 tablespoons loosely packed cilantro leaves
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 1/2 medium-size cloves garlic
3/8 ounces fresh peeled ginger (a 1-by- 1/4-inch piece), cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
4 small Chinese eggplants (2 to 3 ounces each)
1. Grab some skinny eggplants, slice lengthwise, and cut deep cross-hatches into the flesh
Prick the eggplants several times with a fork. Place eggplants skin side down in a 13-by-9-by-2-inch microwave-safe oval dish.
2. Combine all ingredients, except eggplants, in a blender. Process until smooth.
Just mince the garlic, cilantro, and ginger with a knife. Then whisk it all together with the other stuff in a bowl. It will be fine, PROMISE.
3. Cover the eggplant with the marinade, making sure to get it deep into the cuts
Spoon 1 1/2 teaspoons of the marinade over each eggplant half. Rub the marinade into the flesh so that it runs into the cuts.
4. Turn eggplants skin side up. Pour remaining marinade into dish. Let stand for 45 minutes.
5. The eggplant should look nice and soaked in the marinade.
6. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and nuke for 10 minutes.
Cook at 100 percent power in a high-power oven for 10 minutes. Prick plastic to release steam.