But stopping for fast food is the worst.
So! Make delicious beef jerky at home and avoid rest stops and gas stations forever.
1. You will need:
2 pounds beef
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup pear nectar*
1/2 cup sake
1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
3/4 cups honey
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves
4 tablespoons ginger, grated
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
2. Put your beef in the freezer to firm it up, then make super-thin slices.
Thin slices mean crispy, chewy jerky.
3. Get out the blender to make a marinade.
Pour in the soy sauce, pear nectar, sake, sesame oil, and honey. Throw in your grated ginger.
4. Add chopped jalapeño, garlic, and onion.
Look, it’s a beautiful mosaic.
6. Pour the marinade over the beef and let them hang out until they become friends.
While you’re waiting, take a nap, go to work, and — if worst comes to worst — talk to your family.
7. Seven hours later, it’s jerky time. Preheat the oven to 200º F and grind the salt and sesame seeds.
Consider this your annual lower arm workout.
9. Bake for 4 hours, until dry and jerky-like.
It’ll be worth the wait. Just stay strong. Get the full recipe at Food52.
- Mullah Omar — leader of the Taliban — has died, according to multiple reports. The Taliban has not responded to the reports.
- Officials released new footage proving Sandra Bland was "alive and well" when her mugshot was taken. The release aims to counter social media rumors that she was deceased in the photo.
- Michel Platini, the current UEFA president, will be a candidate in the 2016 FIFA election to replace Sepp Blatter ⚽️