But stopping for fast food is the worst.
So! Make delicious beef jerky at home and avoid rest stops and gas stations forever.
1. You will need:
2 pounds beef
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup pear nectar*
1/2 cup sake
1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
3/4 cups honey
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves
4 tablespoons ginger, grated
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
2. Put your beef in the freezer to firm it up, then make super-thin slices.
Thin slices mean crispy, chewy jerky.
3. Get out the blender to make a marinade.
Pour in the soy sauce, pear nectar, sake, sesame oil, and honey. Throw in your grated ginger.
4. Add chopped jalapeño, garlic, and onion.
Look, it’s a beautiful mosaic.
6. Pour the marinade over the beef and let them hang out until they become friends.
While you’re waiting, take a nap, go to work, and — if worst comes to worst — talk to your family.
7. Seven hours later, it’s jerky time. Preheat the oven to 200º F and grind the salt and sesame seeds.
Consider this your annual lower arm workout.
9. Bake for 4 hours, until dry and jerky-like.
It’ll be worth the wait. Just stay strong. Get the full recipe at Food52.
- Britain marks 10 years since 52 people were killed in terrorist attacks in London.
- European leaders are holding an emergency summit today to discuss Greece's debt crisis.
- The deadline for a deal on Iran's nuclear program was extended again, to the end of the week.