1. Hello, potato.
2. Do you want to be magically transformed into something mind-bogglingly delicious? MAYBE EVEN BETTER THAN FRENCH FRIES?!
4. Step 1: Put potatoes in a wide shallow pan in a single layer and sprinkle with two big spoonfuls of sea salt.
Use waxy, new potatoes that look like little nuggets (fingerlings are perfect). Get the full recipe at food52.
5. Step 2: Add enough cold water just to cover the ‘taters. Bring it to a boil until all the water has evaporated.
6. Step 3: Turn the heat to low and cook for a few more minutes. Turn your potatoes occasionally until they are dry, wrinkled, and coated with a thin layer of salt.
Your potatoes will look like fossils or dinosaur eggs, but they’ll taste ridiculously good. Get the full recipe at food52.
7. Optional step: Make a garlicky cilantro mojo to dip your potatoes in.
8. Get the dip recipe at food52.
You’re basically going to pound garlic, a green chili pepper, and salt into a paster, then add cilantro, cumin and olive oil, and — just before you eat it — vinegar.
9. Now eat, and discuss why this is probably better than French fries.
Something to do with texture and subtlety and creamy, snappy bites. Just try it.