1. Al Forno’s Penne with Tomato, Cream & Five Cheeses
5 cheeses, count ‘em.
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup chopped canned tomatoes in heavy puree
1/2 cup freshly grated pecorino Romano cheese, (1 1/2 ounces)
1/2 cup coarsely shredded (1 1/2 ounces) Fontina cheese
1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese, (1 1/2 ounces)
2 tablespoons ricotta cheese
1/4 pound thinly sliced mozzarella cheese
3/4 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for pasta water
6 fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
1 pound penne rigate or conchiglie rigate
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, sliced thinly
1. Heat oven to 500 degrees F.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except the pasta and butter. Stir well to combine.
4. Drop the pasta into the boiling water and parboil for 4 minutes. Drain in a colander and add to the ingredients in the mixing bowl, tossing to combine.
5. Divide the pasta mixture among six to eight shallow ceramic gratin dishes (1 1/2 to 2 cups in capacity) or place in a shallow (1-inch) layer in larger baking dishes. Dot with the butter, and bake until bubbly and brown on top, 7 to 10 minutes.
2. Savory Gruyère Stuffed French Toast
Savory, oozey, gooey. Get the recipe on Food52.
3. Hand-Formed Parmesan Tater Tots
4. Chai Spiced Monkey Bread
For those times when a chai tea just isn’t enough. Get the recipe on Food52.
5. Edward Giobbi’s Spaghetti alla Foriana
“Alla Foriana” means “insanely delicious” in Italian. Or something like that. Get the recipe on Food52.
6. Mom’s Blueberry-Coconut Muffins
Bring a little summer into the Winter Games. Get the recipe on Food52.
7. Potato, Mushroom & Caramelized Onion Pierogi
Carbs, all wrapped up in carbs. Get the recipe on Food52.
8. Mashed Potato Cakes with Broccoli and Cheese
Panko-crusted, with broccoli and gooey cheese. These count as a vegetable, right? Get the recipe on Food52.
9. Meyer Lemon Focaccia
A gorgeous, tart, salty, sweet, and addictive flatbread. Get the recipe on Food52.
10. Grandma DiLaura’s Italian Ricotta Gnocchi
All these tender little carb pillows need is a little bit of butter. Get the recipe on Food52.
11. Chocolate-Mashed Potato Cake with Ganache
Have your cake and eat (extra) carbs too. Get the recipe on Food52.
12. Fruit-Laden, Whole-Grain Pancakes
The breakfast of champions. Get the recipe on Food52.
13. Nigella Lawson’s Linguine with Lemon, Garlic, and Thyme Mushrooms
Easy and elegant, with bright, fresh flavors. Get the recipe on Food52.
14. Cheese Biscuits
Impossibly tender biscuits with cheddar cheese woven throughout. Get the recipe on Food52.
15. Applesauce Carrot Bread with Pecan Streusel
Ridiculously moist, warmly spiced, and plenty sweet. C’mon cake, you can’t fool us — there’s no way this is bread. Get the recipe on Food52.
16. Goat Cheese Pasta with Caramelized Onions and Roasted Butternut Squash
Everything we like — creamy goat cheese, tender roasted squash, and sweet caramelized onions — all in one bowl. Get the recipe on Food52.
17. Southwestern Spiced Sweet Potato Fries with Chili-Cilantro Sour Cream
18. Anthony Myint’s French Toast Crunch
Finally, the answer to the age-old question of what happens when you cross creme brûlée, French toast, and tres leches cake. Get the recipe on Food52.
19. Scalloped Potatoes with Caramelized Onions
Tender, creamy potatoes, gooey Gruyere cheese, and sweet caramelized onions. Get the recipe on Food52.
20. Orange Scented Olive Oil Sticky Buns
These are delicate, tangy, fragrant, and sweet — the nicest buns around. Get the recipe on Food52.
21. Kimchi Fried Rice
Warm and spicy, this is comfort food at it’s best. Get the recipe on Food52.
22. Party Pretzel Bites
Yea, sure, you could serve these at a party… But you could also eat them all yourself. Get the recipe at Food52.
23. Brown Butter Waffle Cake with Sorghum Meringue Buttercream
Why load when you could overload? Get the recipe on Food52.