1. It’s bright, shiny, and mesmerizing but it’s not your friend.
It’s tricking you! Don’t give in!
2. Almost half of all fires in the US happen outside. Nowhere is safe!
Keep that campfire under control, buddies. Did Smokey teach you nothing?
3. Believe it or not, putting things really close to candles is a BAD IDEA.
Especially fabric and paper products. More than half of all candle fires start when things that can burn are too close to the candle!
4. Fire can literally take your breath away, and not even in the romantic, Top Gun kind of way.
Fire can suck all of the oxygen from a room! In some instances that’s just as dangerous as the heat. Scary magic.
5. It takes gallons of water to put out that mozzarella stick microwave fire you started.
If a fire grows quickly enough then a little water from the sink may not help. Firefighters use thousands of gallons of water a minute to properly tame a house fire!
6. Your computer is basically your baby, so give it a nap every once and awhile.
It’s entirely conceivable that your computer will spontaneously combust if you never turn it off. Just get off the internet for 10 minutes, we believe in you!
7. There are more than 30 home candle fires reported per DAY.
Yes they smell nice, just keep an eye on them! Better yet, two eyes.
8. Putting water on a grease fire will pretty much yield the same results as putting water on a Mogwai.
Don’t do it! Suffocate the flames instead and have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen at all times. The water will just make the flames far bigger and more aggressive.
9. Men get injured in fires almost twice as much as women.
AKA you’re not invincible, guys. Stop trying to impress ladies with your caveman fire tricks.
10. Cooking your little bowl of noodles is a DEATH TRAP.
Keep a close eye on what you’re cooking! Most incidents happen when an oven or microwave is left unattended. Cooking is the leading cause of fire-related injuries in the country.
11. Cigarette fires eat houses for breakfast.
From 2007-2011, smoking-related fires caused around $509 million in direct property damage. Another reason to quit!
12. Arsonists look like everybody else and are essentially fire ninjas.
You just never know, you know?
13. When all else fails, there’s always the trusty Yule Log.
Ahhhh, beautiful and safe Yule Log. We love you.
Don’t be a dummy. Stay smart with Farmers Insurance.
Watch More Fun, Fast and Smart Videos from Farmers®. http://smart.farmers.com