Wild Pitch No-Hitter nbd
1. After throwing nine no-hit innings, Miami’s Henderson Alvarez still needed his team to score a run to end the game and seal his historic feat. So with bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth, the Tigers threw…A WILD PITCH?!?
2. Giancarlo Stanton came flying across home plate…
3. …and Alvarez, in the ondeck circle and ready to hit…
4. …went completely nuts, as did everyone else. His no-hitter, the fifth in Miami history, was officially in the books.
5. Baseball Twitter went kind of nuts, and rightfully so.
11. Even Billy the Marlin was stunned by what happened.
12. Of course, Marlins owner and Mr. Burns impersonator Jeffrey Loria was behind home plate enjoying the moment.
13. Alvarez’s walk-off no-hitter was the first time in 16 years such a feat had occurred.
14. For the Marlins, who lost their 100th game of the season yesterday, it was a pretty magical ending to a dismal season.
15. Before heading for the dugout celebration, Alvarez hugged and kissed his pregnant wife, who was also behind home plate.
16. A weird aside to a weird ending: The last Marlins pitcher to throw a no-no, Anibal Sanchez (2006), was in the visitors dugout as a member of the Tigers.
(He’s going to the playoffs, so he’s going to be just fine.)