The “Indian Rural Olympics” is a three-day competition held every winter in the Indian state of Punjab. It’s meant to represent a celebration of, well, rural Indian culture. This year was the 77th running of the games, and some of the events are simply astounding.
2. There’s cart racing! Seems totally safe.
3. Then there’s an event that involves a tractor running over your body.
5. The guy trying to pull the tractor with his teeth seems to have the right idea.
6. Whatever event requires you to hold up 21 bricks with your teeth, this fellow’s a gold medalist.
7. Is holding up two more bicycles in your teeth more or less painful than the bricks? Let’s ask this guy!
8. Balancing a farm plow on your mouth? Don’t try this at home, kids.
9. How this man is not plummeting to almost certain injury is anyone’s guess.
10. Tens of thousands of visitors attend every year, and everyone takes the events very seriously.
- President Obama addressed the 54-member African Union, a first for a sitting U.S. president. The speech marks the end of his historic five-day trip to East Africa.
- The Boy Scouts of America has ended its ban on gay leaders, two years after lifting a ban on gay youth members.
- Boston is no longer pursuing a bid to host the 2024 summer Olympics.
- The Arizona Cardinals have hired the NFL's first female coach.