1. In 1996, Ted and Marshall are randomly assigned to the same freshman dorm room.
3. The next morning, Lily is “drawn” to Marshall’s room when she goes looking for someone to fix her stereo.
4. During the semester break, Ted and Marshall drive across the country together, bonding over The Proclaimers’ “I’m Gonna Be,” which was the only song they could listen to since the tape player was broken.
5. In 2001, Ted meets Barney in the bathroom at MacLaren’s.
6. In 2005, Lily and Marshall get engaged in their apartment.
9. In spring 2006, Ted steals a blue French horn — again! — and makes it rain to get Robin to go on a second date with him.
10. But the next morning, Ted gets home to find out Lily has left Marshall and moved to San Francisco.
14. And Barney, Ted, Marshall, and Lily find out Robin used to be a Canadian teen pop star in named Robin Sparkles.
18. In fall 2009, Ted teaches his first architecture class — in the wrong room.
And little did he know, his future wife was in the classroom.