Each year the Center for Science in the Public Interest hands out tongue-in-cheek “awards” to what they call America’s most unhealthy restaurant meals.
The dishes are ranked on a combination of factors: calories, saturated fat, sodium, and sugar. CSPI doesn’t judge every restaurant in America; it works from a list of the top 200 restaurants in America according to Nation’s Restaurant News, a trade publication that covers the restaurant industry.
Here are this year’s winners.*
8. Chevys Fresh Mex Super Cinco Combo: 1,920 Calories
Say you are able to exercise superhuman restraint and refrain from eating the free chips and salsa and instead opt to eat only your meal.
That will include:
• a beef enchilada
• a chicken enchilada
• a crispy or soft taco
• a pork tamale
• a chile relleno
• Fresh Mex rice
• sweet corn tamalito
• either the bacon refried beans or the vegetarian black beans
TL;DR: This plate is the equivalent of 11 Taco Bell Crunchy Tacos.
7. BJ’s Signature Deep Dish Chicken Bacon Ranch Pizza (Small): 2,160 Calories
STOP RUINING THE BACON. IT DOESN’T NEED ALL THAT CHICKEN, CHEESE AND RANCH DRESSING.
6. The Cheesecake Factory’s Farfalle With Chicken and Roasted Garlic: 2,410 Calories
You’re probably like, “Oh, look at that delicious bowl of pasta, chicken, pancetta, and vegetables in a lovely cream sauce. That sounds just lovely.” Well, sort of lovely, if you’d also like to go on a 1-million-hour jog afterward to burn it off.
5. Maggiano’s Little Italy, Prime New York Steak Contadina style: 2,420 Calories
FINALLY! A restaurant that understands that steak alone is simply not enough. It needs potatoes, and vegetables, and garlic butter, and, of course, two links of Italian sausage.
4. Famous Dave’s The Big Slab, St. Louis-Style Spareribs: 2,770 Calories
Seems like anyone serving a giant slab of meat, accompanied by corn bread muffins, fries and baked beans, could be ~maybe~ overcompensating for ~something.~
3. The Cheesecake Factory’s Bruléed French Toast: 2,780 Calories
Oh, hello, custard, I didn’t see you hiding there in the middle of that French bread. TBH I was probably distracted by all that maple-butter syrup and bacon…or the 93 grams of saturated fat. Either one.
2. Joe’s Crab Shack’s The Big “Hook” Up: 3,280 Calories
Between the breaded balls of cream cheese, the coconut shrimp, the crab-stuffed shrimp, the fish & chips, the hush puppies, and the coleslaw, this is probably gonna be the night’s only hookup situation.
1. Red Robin Gourmet Burgers’ Monster Meal: 3,540 Calories
A.1. Peppercorn Burger: 1,670 calories
1 Serving of Bottomless Steak Fries: 370 calories
Monster Salted Caramel Milkshake: 1,500 calories
Total: 3,540 calories, 69 grams of saturated fat (more than three days’ worth), 6,280 milligrams of sodium, and a serious bellyache
For more information on all of these meals, check out the full Xtreme Eating 2014 results.
- A University of Cincinnati officer has been charged with murder for shooting Samuel Dubose, an unarmed black man.
- Mullah Omar, the Taliban's reclusive leader, died more than two years ago, Afghan officials say. The Taliban hasn't commented.
- Debris found on an island in the Indian Ocean belongs to the same type of aircraft as the missing Malaysia Airlines flight, a U.S. official told the Associated Press.