1. This is Chris Thile. He won a MacArthur Genius Grant. They give these out to smart people.
2. What makes Thile such a genius? The fact that he can make ANYTHING sound amazing on mandolin.
3. He started out in a little band called Nickel Creek.
4. They released their first album when Chris was 12. They were Grammy nominated by the time he hit 20, and Grammy winners when he turned 22.
5. Then Chris grew up. Got a little older.
8. And he kept making awesome music. The fact is, he makes everything sound good on mandolin. For starters, here’s a bluegrass classic.
Awesome. Predictably awesome.
9. But Thile’s not just a bluegrass guy. You want him to do something bigger? Oh, how about… The Strokes? Yeah, he’s got that.
10. Radiohead? Hell yes.
13. How about some Bach? Yes, yes he can.
15. A jazz collaboration with fellow Genius Grant winner Edgar Meyer? ALL KINDS OF YES.
16. A Bulgarian folk tune played in a super obscure timing structure? Sure, why not?
17. An 18th century Scottish lyrical poem? Against all odds, he’ll crush that, too.
18. Something more modern? Maybe some Britney Spears? Give it to us, Chris.
19. A Josh Ritter cover? With an insane solo? Absolutely.
20. The Cars? Yup, he’s even got that, too.
22. Which makes him the most dangerous man in the world — with a mandolin at his fingertips, at least.
- Rallies for climate change action are taking place around the world ahead of the United Nations climate talks in Paris. ›
- Planned Parenthood officials said they believed Friday's shooting at a Colorado Springs clinic was motivated by opposition to abortion. ›
- And watch a man react to the modern world after spending 44 years in prison. ›