1. Once upon a time, on a Saturday on May, this was the site of the biggest, drunkest outdoor party in sports.
2. You drove to Baltimore for the Preakness — the second leg in horse racing’s Triple Crown. But from your spot in the infield, you probably never saw a horse.
4. You showed up early. You were excited.
5. The day started off smoothly. You were only a little drunk when you arrived at the infield.
7. You felt downright American, and proud to be from Maryland.
8. And then, it all got a little crazy.
10. You started running the urinals.
11. It did not end well, but you ran them.
12. You threw entire cans of beer at anyone who moved.
13. You drank. You cheered.
15. You tried to fight someone.
16. You tried to beat up a table, but failed.
17. You were pretty sure you saw someone die, but then you just took a video selfie instead.
18. Police watched, too, and just let it go.
19. You left the infield in a state of slight disrepair.
20. Then, one day, the Preakness had enough. They banned fans from bringing their own alcohol into the infield. Now you can only buy it from vendors.
21. The Preakness tried to introduce a new mascot, Kegasus, to keep the party going. But you knew: it was over. This year, the event will feature a performance by Pitbull. Pitbull!
22. So thanks for the memories, Preakness infield. You are gone, but never forgotten.
- Turkey hopes to ease tensions with Russia after it shot down a Russian warplane earlier this week. The countries have differing accounts of the incident. ›
- France and Russia have agreed to coordinate their airstrikes with the U.S. against ISIS. ›
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz. ›