1. This is one of the best pre-Mad Men ad campaigns. “This is a symbol of man’s desire…”
2. Subtext: YOU’RE WRONG IN NOT LIKING IT.
3. Nice touch, those red nails, baby.
4. MEAT and a HACKSAW. Questions?
5. Considering the era, this campaign really did feature some superb photography.
6. Great copy in the campaign, too.
7. “Polish the bone.” POLISH IT.
9. FILL IT UP.
10. New Yorker. American. Hero. William Bendix.
11. Enjoy this “Canned Meat Show”
12. PORK BUTT.
13. “…with the country calling for more and more MEAT…”
14. “…your body asks for, and must have.”
15. “Meat and a dash of spice”—yep that’s all that’s in franks.
16. Santa’s wiener is a little too close to that X-Mas ham.
18. Never mind cooking it, I’ll eat it raw.
19. BONUS AD IMAGE: “trained, firm muscles…”
All ads via the amazing Vintage Advertising Pool on Flickr.
- Cilla Black, the legendary English singer and TV star, has died at her home in Spain, according to local police. She was 72 years old.
- President Barack Obama will unveil climate change regulations at a White House event on Monday. The plan is considered to be "the strongest action ever taken" in the U.S. to combat climate change.
- A conservation group at Oxford University told BuzzFeed News that media reports of Jericho's death were not true and that the 11-year-old lion was "alive and well".