1. Chris Brochu will play Luke, a gay student at Whitmore College who befriends Elena (Nina Dobrev) and Caroline (Candice Accola).
2. He will reportedly come into the girls’ lives for mysterious and dangerous reasons related to the growing tension between the witches and the travelers.
3. You may remember Brochu as Bethany Hamilton’s brother in Soul Surfer.
4. Brochu is super excited about the role.
6. Kevin Williamson, a gay man and creator of The Vampire Diaries, has wanted an openly gay character for years but didn’t want it to be a typical teen coming out story.
“It’s one of those things that needs to feel organic and seamless. I don’t want it to be a character that comes in and is a one-off,” said Williamson. “I want someone to come in and have a reason and a purpose and really push that story forward the way I want to do it, and they’re so important to the story that without them the show won’t happen. That’s what I want.”