1. Honey and Rye Glazed Ham
When it comes to cooking a turkey, once a year is enough. Ham is just as festive — and, frankly, far more delicious. Recipe here.
3. Butternut Squash, Cranberry, and Goat Cheese Crostini
7. Gluten-Free Gingerbread Cookies
Gingerbread men for all! Recipe here.
9. Rosemary Pepper Beef Rib Roast with Porcini Jus
Never heard of this Norwegian dessert? It’s basically a big, almond flavored cookie pie. Adorable snowflake topping is optional (but highly, highly recommended). Recipe here.
15. Gingerbread Cookie Dough Truffles
Easier than cake pops, and perfectly reminiscent of licking gingerbread batter off the spatula. Recipe here.
16. Roast Goose with Pork, Prune, and Chestnut Stuffing
Start a new Christmas dinner tradition. Recipe here.
17. Pear and Cranberry Bellini
Stunning but simple, and great for brunch or a holiday party. Recipe here.
18. Pomegranate-Jeweled White Cheddar, Toasted Almond, and Crispy Sage Cheese Ball
19. Peppermint Hot Chocolate Affogato
Hot and cold. Recipe here.
21. Christmas Pudding
For all you Anglophiles out there. Recipe here.
23. Mulled Wine
24. Kale, Pomegranate, and Caramelized Parsnip Salad
Balance. Recipe here.
26. Crown Roast of Lamb
An old Christmas classic, traditionally pork, is even better made with rack of lamb. Recipe here.
27. Glitter-Painted Sugar Cookies
They’re easier than they look, and guaranteed to make you the star of the cookie swap. Recipe and directions here.
28. Hot Cross Buns
As good for Christmas breakfast as they are for Easter brunch. Recipe here.
32. Star-Topped Mince Pies
“Mincemeat” refers to sweet, jammy-dried fruit. Sometimes there’s a little bit of beef or beef suet (fat) involved, but often the mixture is meat-free. Recipe here.
- Migrant deaths in the Mediterranean have exceeded 2,000, making 2015 the deadliest year for people trying to reach Europe, according to the International Organization for Migration.
- At least 24 homes have been lost and one firefighter killed as dozens of wildfires continue to ravage drought-stricken California.
- Three major U.S. airlines — Delta, American, and United — have banned the transport of big game trophies after the illegal killing of Cecil the lion in Zimbabwe.