WHAT’S IN SEASON:
(This will vary depending on the time of the month and where you live).
Sunchokes (Jerusalem Artichokes)
1. Chocolate Cupcakes with Fresh Mint Buttercream
2. Pea, Asparagus, and Fava Bean Salad
Fava beans are worth the work, trust me. Recipe here.
3. Shrimp in Achiote Oil
Word to the wise: add shrimp to your weeknight dinner rotation. It’s quick, versatile, and tough to screw up. Recipe here.
4. Banana, Pecan, Coconut and Chocolate Chip Blondies
5. Braised Leeks and Muscovado Lentils
6. Morel and Asparagus Spaghetti
If you’re lucky enough to find morels at the farmer’s market, brace yourself for a little bit of sticker shock. Then, take a deep breath, remind yourself that a little goes a long way, and go for it. Recipe here.
7. Pea Tendril and Pistachio Pesto
It sounds fussy, but really all you need to do is throw everything in a food processor. Recipe here.
8. Beer Battered Fish Tacos with Margarita Mango Salsa with Jalepeño Crema
9. Pizza with Za’atar, Preserved Lemons and Ricotta
10. Citrus Fennel Salad
11. Roasted Potato Galette with Cheddar and Chives
12. Ramp Butter
If you’ve never tasted a ramp, that’s probably because they’re only in season for few elusive weeks each spring, and chefs tend to snatch them up before they get to market. If you do get your hands on some, this is a great way to preserve them and make their sharp, sweet, garlicky flavor last a little bit longer. Recipe here.
13. Snickers Semifreddo Cake
14. Giant Lemon Fennel Beans
15. Jerusalem Artichoke Gnocchi with Sautéed Kale
16. Mini Strawberry Shortcakes with Whipped Cream
17. Spring Ham Steaks with Sweet Pea Leek Pan Sauce
Easter dinner, anyone? Recipe here.
18. Artichoke Gratinata
19. Rhubarb Upside Down Cake
Upside down cake = what to bake if you hate baking. Recipe here.
20. Pretzel-Crusted Pork Schnitzel
Because, it isn’t bathing suit season yet. Recipe here.
21. Open Omelet with Morcilla Sausage, Pancetta, and Fennel-Apple Salad
22. Greek Steak Salad French Bread with Soft-Boiled Eggs and Feta
There are two really great things about this salad. 1) Steak. 2) It’s actually a sandwich. Recipe here.
23. Vegan Green Chili Mac & Cheese
Vegans: this cashew sauce will make your dreams come true. Recipe here.
24. Salade Niçoise
25. Papaya Bars
Sometimes, life doesn’t give you lemons. Recipe here.
26. Rhubarb Fennel Fizz
Don’t overthink it. Recipe here.
28. Spring Pea and Fava Bean Guacamole with Root Chips
29. Strawberry Basil Hand Pies
Perfection is for fools. Recipe here.
We've got your WKND covered.
- Owen Labrie was found not guilty of sexual assault charges stemming from a 15-year-old former student's accusations that he raped her at St. Paul's School. ›
- Former U.S. President George W. Bush delivered a speech honoring New Orleans' teachers during a visit marking the anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. ›
- Police confirmed 71 people, likely refugees who fled Syria, were found dead in a truck abandoned in Austria. ›