1. This is probably how you’re used to seeing Sylvia Plath — the iconic and tragic poet – usually only in black and white photos, and sporting her trademark brown hair.
Courtesy Everett Collection
2. But in 1954, Plath enjoyed a brief period as a blonde.
3. Her blonde hair was part of an attempt to to start over and adopt a new persona, following her first suicide attempt in August of 1953.
4. Plath, who had spent six months in psychiatric care following the suicide attempt, had seemed to improve greatly by the the summer of 1954.
In The News Today
- The Temple of Bel, an important ancient structure in the ISIS-held Syrian city of Palmyra, has been destroyed, the United Nations says. ›
- A white supremacist has been found guilty of capital murder in the shooting deaths of three people at two Jewish facilities in Kansas last year. ›
- The U.S. Supreme Court says a Kentucky county must issue marriage licenses while its clerk appeals a ruling in a lawsuit from three same-sex couples against her "no marriage licenses" policy. ›