1. In 1998, to promote Hello Nasty, the Beastie Boys produced and starred in a half-hour “infomercial” for the album. The commercial was a parody of different late-night infomercials and featured each member in their own bit:
2. Ad-Rock as “John,” the over enthused audience member, was featured in a bit about a juice extractor, that also happens to play Beastie Boys songs.
3. Mike D as exercise guru “Jack Freeweather.”
4. MCA (RIP) as “Bill Swenson,” a get-rich-quick money maker…
5. …whose segment came with the best warning:
6. The infomercial was directed by Mike D’s wife, Tamra Davis, and late-night on cable stations in major cities. Despite the spoof nature of the commercial, viewers could actually purchase the album by calling 1-888-711-BSTE:
7. Hello Nasty infomercial part two:
- Justice Antonin Scalia, who served almost 30 years on the Supreme Court as one of its most prominent and influential conservative voices, died Saturday. He was 79.
- The four members of British indie band Viola Beach and their manager are believed to have died in a car crash in Sweden.
- And U.S. Republican presidential candidates had their nastiest debate yet in South Carolina last night 🇺🇸