In celebration of the 45th anniversary of this iconic Disney attraction, D23 gave us a look at concept art from the 1950s and early 1960s that reflected some of the ideas for the ride.
1. This sketch shows an early version of the Haunted Mansion with a much more sinister-looking Victorian exterior. Of course they eventually settled on a Southern plantation façade.
2. Apparently the hanging corpse in the “stretching room” was supposed to be surrounded by floating furniture.
He currently hangs sans furniture.
3. Early concept art for the Grand Hall organist.
And, as any Disney fan can tell you, the organ that was eventually used for this scene is the actual organ played by Captain Nemo in Disney’s adaption of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
4. The creepy bride was originally envisioned to stand atop a staircase instead of in the attic.
D23 will unveil more images like these during its Fanniversary roadshow tour later this year. For more information on the tour, check out this link.
A complete ride-through of the Haunted Mansion attraction:
- Two University of Cincinnati officers who were on the scene shortly after Samuel Dubose was fatally shot have been placed on leave. The officer accused of killing Dubose has been released from jail on bond.
- An ultra-Orthodox man stabbed six people at Jerusalem's gay pride parade on Thursday.
- The new Apple TV will debut in September, along with its own App Store, sources tell BuzzFeed News.